Hi,If after recovery you were not able to install several programs, there might have been some components of the computer's Operating System that has gone corrupted. Do you have McAfee installed before on the computer? You may want to try running the clean up tool for McAfee before reinstalling it and let us know the results. But first, here are the steps needed before running the tool:
RESET INTERNET SETTINGS
Close MSN and all open windows
- Windows XP: Click Start then select Run | Windows Vista/7: Press the windows key + R on the keyboard
- Type inetcpl.cpl inside the Run box.
- In the Internet Properties window, click on Advanced at the top
- Click on Reset at the bottom part of the window.
- On the small pop-up window, make sure that the box is checked then click on Reset again.
Here is the link for McAfee clean up tool: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exeRestart the computer if prompted.About the problem for Window Live Essentials where WL Messenger is included, what is the exact error message you were getting when trying to install it?Paolo M.